Click to Home
Go To Search
Click to Home
Email pagePrint page
Business Licenses
Doing Business In Seward
Thank you for your interest in doing business in Seward! 

Seward City Code requires that all businesses operating within city limits obtain a city business license.  The City Clerk's Office will process your business license application as quickly as possible.  Please call us at 907-224-4046 or stop by City Hall and we'll be more than happy to help you! 

The following is required to obtain a city business license:
  • A completed city business license application and fee of $30
  • A valid State of Alaska business license (and occupational license, if applicable)
  • Registration with the Kenai Peninsula Borough to collect sales tax
  • Authorization with the City of Seward Community Development Department, confirming the business type is allowed for the location indicated on the business license application
  • Authorization from City Departments that all city accounts are current and not delinquent (this is done internally)
We strongly recommend that any new business contact the Community Development Department at 907-224-4049 before starting the licensing process to confirm the proposed business location is properly zoned for your intended use. 


Below are the forms you'll need to obtain a City of Seward business license:

  • The cost of a City of Seward business license is $30 and it is renewed annually.
  • The cost of a State of Alaska business license is $50, also renewed annually.
  • The cost to register with the Kenai Peninsula Borough to collect sales tax is free.  The borough has businesses file their tax returns on a quarterly basis.  Call (907) 262-4441 ext. 2175 for sales tax questions.

    If you are operating a charter, taxi cab, or lodging business, you will be required to complete additional paperwork - please see below. 

Charters, Taxis, and Lodging

Charter businesses should contact the Seward Boat Harbor at 907-224-4350 for additional paperwork such as registration to collect passenger fees and insurance required by City Code to operate as a charter business.  

Vehicles for Hire (Taxis) require additional permitting from the clerk's office: 
  • A completed vehicle for hire application for each vehicle used for a for-hire service.  A $100 permit fee is charged for each vehicle. See the forms section below for the permit application.
  • Proof of valid insurance on each vehicle intended for hire.  
  • Proof of a valid chauffeur's license for each listed driver on the vehicle for hire permit application. 

Lodging Businesses or B&Bs with 5 or less rooms are required to obtain a lodging permit from the clerk's office:
  • Compliance from the Community Development Department that the use is zoned correctly and allowed outright (please see this department FIRST before pursuing a lodging permit).
  • A successful annual life safety inspection conducted by the Seward Fire Department.
  • An application for Certificate of Registration for Hotel/Motel Room Tax Collection (applies for all businesses that provide nightly lodging services).

Door-to-Door Solicitors - click here for information

Mobile and Roving Vending
In May, 2014, the Seward City Council passed legislation to allow for mobile vending and roving vending on City property by permit.  There are seven locations designated for mobile vending permits.  In April, 2018, council approved an updated policy for the Mobile Vendor program.

If a business is interested in obtaining a mobile vendor or roving vendor, please read through the council approved policy and mobile vending locations below. Also listed are links to download permit applications for mobile and roving vending, as well as the new language implemented in the City Code to allow for this type of business. 

Mobile and Roving Vending Policy (this includes maps of the eight designated mobile vending locations on city property) Updated April 23, 2018

Mobile Vendor Permit Application  Updated April 23, 2018

Roving Vendor Permit Application

City Code Language on Mobile and Roving Vendors

*Transient Merchants.  Please note a mobile vendor can also be allowed to operate on private property.  This is defined as a transient merchant.  Transient merchants engage in temporary business not exceeding 150 consecutive days in a calendar year.  Transient merchants operate exclusively from private property. A city business license is required to be a transient merchant or in conjunction with a mobile or roving vendor permit.

City of Seward • P.O. Box 167, 410 Adams Street City Hall Building • Seward, Alaska 99664 • (907) 224-3331
Home Home  |  Email Page Email Page  | Print Page Print  |  Calendar  |  FAQs  |  Contact Us  |  Accessibility  |  Site Map |  Renewable Energy Windpowered | Powered by CivicPlus  | Copyright Notices